Map of Pretoria Region (Tshwane)
Pretoria, now part of the Tshwane Metropole, is a stately Jacaranda lined city and it is the administrative capital of South Africa. Pretoria or Tshwane as the locals call it is renowned for its educational facilities, museums, old buildings and monuments.
Its eastern suburbs are dominated by the historic Union Buildings, where Nelson Mandela was inaugurated as President of South Africa in 1994 before the largest ever gathering of world leaders.
Top attractions in Pretoria Region:
- The Union Buildings - a masterpiece of colonial architecture by Sir Herbert Baker
- The Zoological Gardens – Africa’s largest and most well designed Zoo
- Voortrekker Monument – a memorial to the Great Trek and a shrine to the Afrikaans
- Melrose House – where the Anglo Boer War Peace Treaty was signed
- Kruger House – home of the Boer President Paul Kruger
- Smuts House – home of the world Statesman Jan Smuts
- Sammy Marks Museum – a colonial mansion built during the diamond rush days
|Looking at going on holiday to Pretoria Region (Tshwane) - try out one of these exciting holidays!|