Map of The Panorama
One of the most iconic routes in South Africa is undoubtedly The Panorama Route. It is a spectacularly beautiful route that winds its way through craggy mountains of the northern Drakensberg.
Travel along the Great Escarpment and admire the amazing views until suddenly the land before you dips dramatically throwing up awe inspiring views of the plains of the Lowveld a thousand metres below.
Without doubt the most spectacular stretch of the Panorama Route is the Blyde River Canyon. This expanse contains the renowned "God's Window" with its heavenly views along the 33 km gorge , "Bourke's Luck Potholes" impressive rock formations that were shaped millions of years ago by erosion. The bizarre swirl holes developed when the once rapid river carried masses of sand and debris and the unique "Three Rondavels" – three rounded rock formations that guard the canyon. No trip to the Mpumalanga region is complete without first travelling along the Panorama Route
Top things to do in the Panorama Route area:
- View the amazing scenery at Blyde River Canyon
- With magnificent views, canyons, rock formations and waterfalls, God's Window is set in an area of scenic splendour.
- Explore Bourkes Luck Potholes - a series of cylindrical rock sculptures caused by water eddied and erosion
- The exquisite Horseshoe Falls are found along the Sabie River, along with many other spectacular waterfalls
- View the Three Rondavels - three round shaped mountains that look like African huts
- Go Hot air ballooning over this amazing countryside – from Hazyview
- Go on an Elephant Back Safari
- Enjoy nature and scenic wonders while playing golf!
- Explore the living museum of "Pilgrims Rest", depicting life during the 1880's gold rush
- Explore the town of Hazyview
|African Sands personally reviewed and recommended accommodation in The Panorama||Looking at going on holiday to The Panorama - try out one of these exciting holidays!|