Map of Oudtshoorn
The Little (Klein) Karoo is renowned for its warm hospitality and friendly people. Oudtshoorn, the principal town of the Little Karoo, is no exception. The Klein Karoo is set in a fertile valley in-between the Swartberg and Outeniqua mountain ranges. It is a crop producing region with lucerne, tobacco, fruit, grapes and grains being grown here in abundance.
At the turn of the century, Oudtshoorn was probably one of the most famous places in South Africa – purely for its production of Ostrich feathers – which were in high fashion demand and could fetch their weight in gold. This caused a "feather boom" resulting in great wealth and prosperity in the region. Today, you can see many fine Victorian mansions that were built by the wealthy ostrich farmers at this time.
Oudtshoorn is a town with the most sunny days per year in the whole country! Shielded from the coastal belt by the mountain ranges the Klein Karoo also enjoys many windless days.
Oudtshoorn is a wonderful exciting halfway stopover when traveling between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth, with the coastal town of George and the Garden Route about 55 km's away. One of South Africa's eight wine regions, the Klein Karoo is large in area but small in production and these wines are classed with the best in the South African wines.
Top things to do in the Oudtshoorn Region:
- Visit the Cango Caves – world famous caves that open out onto vast caverns of stalagmite formations
- Explore the Cango Wildlife Ranch and visit Cheetahland - established in 1988 as a wild cat conservation camp is the oldest and biggest Cheetah contact centre in the world
- Visit an Ostrich Show Farm and if you are brave enough ride an Ostrich!
- Go on an organised tour of Ma Betty's authentic Xhosa Cultural Village, situated in the disadvantaged township of Bongulethu
- Walk with the Meerkats ! A must do!
- Explore the Klein Karoo Wine Route - they are home to some of South Africa's best wines
|African Sands personally reviewed and recommended accommodation in Oudtshoorn||Looking at going on holiday to Oudtshoorn - try out one of these exciting holidays!|