Map of Battlefields
The Battlefields of KwaZulu-Natal offer an amazing insight into the history of South Africa, and the best way to truly appreciate this bloody and fiercely-fought history is to go on one of the enthralling and dramatic tours of the Battlefields area.
Employ one of the local historian guides and expect a thrilling day out. Many of the guides are brilliant raconteurs, able to make the most mundane historical events come to life. They often produce a show worthy of the finest theatre group. Standing on the spot where men fought and died, they interweave historical detail with anecdote and emotion.
Hear incredible stories of events that happened merely 100 years ago and the influence they had not only on those directly involved, but the world at large. No matter how indifferent you think you are in history, these tours will fascinate and move you.
Top things to do in the Battlefield Region:
- Explore the Battlefields Route – Isandlwana, Rorkes Drift, Blood River, Spionkop and Talana where Boer, Brit and Zulu clashed more than 100 years ago
- Visit the Talana Battlefield Museum
- See The Blood River Monument – built by the Afrikaaner’s to commemorate the Battle of Blood River
- Explore the Ncome Museum built in the shape of a Zulu Horn formation
- Visit the Siege Museum at Ladysmith – considered to be the best Anglo Boer War Museum in the country
- Tiered of history – go hiking in the beautiful country side
- Go on a nature drive in one of the game reserves in the area
- Go white-water rafting down the rapids of the mighty Thukela
- Relax by sailing on the Chelmsford Dam
|African Sands personally reviewed and recommended accommodation in Battlefields||Looking at going on holiday to Battlefields - try out one of these exciting holidays!|