Map of Johannesburg
Johannesburg is the most populous city in South Africa and has the third largest population in Africa, behind Cairo and Lagos. Local residents have nicknamed the city "Jo'burg", "Jozi" and "eGoli".
It is one of the newest major cities in the world. Johannesburg is the site of a large-scale gold and diamond trade due to its location on the mineral-rich Witwatersrand mountain range. Johannesburg is the provincial capital of Gauteng Province, the wealthiest province in South Africa, and the site of the South African Constitutional Court.
Johannesburg is famous for Soweto which is an acronym for the large number of townships that the apartheid government established south-west of the city to accommodate the large number of people who went there to seek employment.
OR Tambo - Johannesburg International Airport, the largest and busiest airport in Africa and a gateway for international air travel to and from the rest of southern Africa serves Johannesburg.
Top things to do in Johannesburg Region:
- Museums in Johannesburg - these are well worth a visit
- Museum Africa is one of the best museums depicting the history of Africa starting from Egypt, reviewing the history of all African peoples to the present day. It includes a good exhibition on Nelson Mandela
- Apartheid Museum - The Apartheid Museum tells the story of the triumph of the human face of adversity overcome
- Visit the Nelson Mandela Bridge, and Constitution Hill
- Go on a Diamond Cutting Tour
- Carlton Centre also known as Top of Africa is one of the tallest towers in Africa and has great views over the city below
- Go on a Soweto City Tour - Visit Hector Peterson Memorial, Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital (largest in Africa), and various community development projects.
- Visit Gold Reef City – a living open air museum “theme park” depicting the Gold Rush
- Visit the Cradle of Mankind
- Take a trip to the nearby Lion Park
- Visit the Cradle of Mankind - a UNESCO World Heritage site
|African Sands personally reviewed and recommended accommodation in Johannesburg||Looking at going on holiday to Johannesburg - try out one of these exciting holidays!|