Map of iSimangaliso Wetland Park
One of the largest estuarine systems in Africa, The Greater St. Lucia Wetland area (newly named iSimangaliso Wetlands Park), is one of South Africa's oldest nature reserves and is today a World Heritage Site.
Encompassing an extraordinary five ecosystems - Marine, Eastern Shores, St. Lucia Lake, Mkuze Swamps and Western Shores - this diversity offers the nature lover a rich variety of outdoor and wildlife experiences.
With its lakes, lagoons, freshwater swamps and grasslands, St. Lucia supports more species of animal than the better-known Kruger National Park and Okavango Delta, even though these areas are much larger. Less visited than the Kruger National Park, it is the perfect place for people who are serious game lovers to relax and unwind and explore the beautiful surroundings. For bird lovers, this reserve is paradise!
It is a must see place on your travels to South Africa.
Top things to do in The Greater St. Lucia Wetland region:
- See the prehistoric Leatherback Turtles at their breeding home along the beaches from Cape Vidal to Sodwana
- Go canoeing on the river and estuary
- Bird watch – this area is a haven for many exotic birds and is an ornithologists paradise!
- Go whale watching
- Go fishing at this popular anglers destination
- Enjoy wonderful hiking trails, stretching from a few hours to a few days in length
- Explore the natur e on horse-back
|African Sands personally reviewed and recommended accommodation in iSimangaliso Wetland Park||Looking at going on holiday to iSimangaliso Wetland Park - try out one of these exciting holidays!|