Map of Highlands
Dubbed the 'Trout Mecca' because of its pristine fishing waters, the Mpumalanga Highlands are situated on the Highveld escarpment conveniently located between the “Cultural Heartland” and the “Panorama Route” regions. The Highlands is a region for both nature lovers and the adventurous at heart.
Including quaint town such as Belfast, Dullstroom, Lydenburg, Machadodorp and Waterval Boven, there is no shortage of things to do. The impressive mountains and rivers of the Mpumalanga Highlands present the opportunity for adrenaline pumping activities such as rock climbing, abseiling, canoeing, hot air ballooning and paragliding to mention a few. This area truly has something for everyone!
Top Attractions in the Highlands are:
- Visit the exquisite Horseshoe Falls are found along the Sabie River
- Explore the Long Tom Pass - The Long Tom Pass gets its name from the Long Tom cannons used during the Anglo-Boer war
- Go Trout Fishing
- Fly fishing is as mesmerising to watch as it is to enjoy – so go on….
- The Steenkampsberg Nature Reserve, outside the town of Dullstroom, provides sanctuary for the rare wattled crane
- Dullstroom Bird Of Prey and Rehabilitation Centre was established in 1997 with the aim of educating the public and creating an environmental awareness
- Go horse-riding
|African Sands personally reviewed and recommended accommodation in Highlands||Looking at going on holiday to Highlands - try out one of these exciting holidays!|