Map of Thabo Mofutsanyana
When the sun shines down on the natural sandstone cliffs of the Golden Gate Highlands National Park, casting brilliant shades of red and gold, it is not difficult to see where this beautiful park got its name from. Just look at the imposing Brandwag Rock glittering gold and you will know.
Sheltered in the rolling foothills of the Maluti Mountains in the north eastern Free State, this 28,660 acres (approx. 120 km2) of unique environment is true highland habitat, providing home to a variety of mammals – black wildebeest, eland, blesbok, oribi, springbok and Burchell's zebra - and birds, including the rare bearded vulture (lammergeier) and the equally rare bald ibis, which breed on the ledges in the sandstone cliffs.
The highest point in the Golden Gate Highlands National Park is Ribbokkop. From here impressive views over the park show of the natural beauty and spectacular shades of red, yellow and purple that all blend together in harmony as the sun slowly sets below the horizon.
Top things to do in the Golden Gate Highlands National Park:
- Discover the spectacular nature on a short nature trail (varying from 1 hour to 5 hours)
- Game viewing at leisure in your own vehicle
- Enjoy a guided excursion into the park
- Swimming in the natural pool at Glen Reenen.
- During peak period (summer and school holidays) Horse-riding is offered
- There are a variety of family friendly activities in the park including bowls, tennis, table tennis and snooker
|Looking at going on holiday to Thabo Mofutsanyana - try out one of these exciting holidays!|